March 10 is National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers, a day to recognize and thank doctors, advanced practice clinicians, nurses, health center assistants, clinic escorts, and other staff who ensure that patients get the high-quality, compassionate care they need, no matter what.
The National Day of Appreciation for Abortion Providers was started in memory of Dr. David Gunn, the first abortion provider killed in the United States on March 10, 1993. In recent years, the designated day has become a way to counter the continued stigma that too many providers still face — and to bring attention to the extraordinary work that providers do to ensure that women, transgender men, and gender-nonconforming people are able not just to make their own decisions about whether to have an abortion, but also to have the highest-quality, most compassionate care as they make their decision
We know that one day is not enough to thank our Planned Parenthood staff and independent abortion providers for all they do to continue providing abortion to those who need it, but we’re grateful for this opportunity to express our gratitude to the people who work so tirelessly to stress the importance of safe and legal abortion. Abortion providers are passionate, concerned, skilled people who believe in the health, well-being, and dignity of every single patient.
You can sign an online “thank you” card HERE to express your appreciation for Planned Parenthood providers across the country.
We’re proud of the work Planned Parenthood of Michigan does to help patients have a safe, legal abortion if and when they need it, but we recognize that the fight to provide access to health care without barriers or political roadblocks extends beyond our health centers. That is why we also salute and appreciate our independent abortion providers in Michigan and across the nation who work everyday to provide care and ensure abortion remains safe and legal for future generations. Check out ways you can shout out and support local independent abortion providers HERE.
Together, we can change the culture around abortion and share a vision for the future that we will work to make a reality:
- Abortion is understood as a basic human right, an essential part of health care, and a normal part of life.
- Everyone can access safe and affordable abortion regardless of age, class, race, gender identity, disability, geography, immigration status, and insurance status.
- Providers and people who have abortions are supported and respected and do not fear or experience judgment, stigma, discrimination, violence, or criminalization.
- All people can talk openly about abortion with sensitivity to the complexity and nuances of individual experiences.
- Every person is able to make personal decisions about abortion based on their own beliefs and values.
- Media supports the dignity and diversity of individual reproductive decisions and decision makers. Media truthfully and authentically represents abortion and refrains from sensationalizing the experience.
Do you have a story to share about how a Planned Parenthood abortion provider helped you? Visit our website and share your story with us!